Sunday, January 19, 2014

Expert Riley's AL Predictions

One might call these the greatest teams ever assembled for an MLB Showdown season. However, only one of these teams can actually be the greatest. My division predictions are the first step in finding out which of these teams will prove its greatness. I'll keep these picks short.
"Expert" Riley's AL Picks
*Wild Card team

AL East
Projected Standings:
1. New York Yankees
2. Toronto Blue Jays
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Tampa Bay Rays

The Yankees are the class of this amazing division. Powerhouse hitting (Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson. 'Nuff said) and great pitching (two Tier 2s and two Tier 3s starting) put New York ahead in this tight AL East. The Blue Jays, boasting a high-OB lineup and three Tier 2 starters, will finish in second place because I have doubts about Toronto's weak bullpen. Even Boston's Pedro Martinez, possibly the best pitcher in the league, can't get the Red Sox on top of this tough division. I don't think Baltimore or Tampa's top-notch bullpens can save either team from competing for fifth place.

AL Central
Projected Standings:
1. Detroit Tigers
2. Cleveland Indians*
3. Kansas City Royals
4. Minnesota Twins
5. Chicago White Sox


On paper, the Tigers are one of the best teams out there. I think they'll excel in the regular season because of Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and their great lineup. Their bullpen may give Detroit trouble, though, especially come playoff time. I believe the Indians come close to a division crown, but end up qualifying as the AL's Wild Card team. The Royals and Twins are two interesting teams. I think the 1-2-3 punch of Jacoby Ellsbury, Derek Jeter and Joe Mauer will give the Twins' offense a cool dynamic, but the pitching staff is average at best. Zach Grienke will win Kansas City some games, but the lineup is too reliant on the longball. I'm going with my gut on the White Sox. The lineup has too many low on base players. I don't see Frank Thomas or Chris Sale carrying this team out of the cellar.


AL West
Projected Standings:
1. Oakland A's
2. Texas Rangers
3. Los Angeles Angels
4. Houston Astros
5. Seattle Mariners

This one is outlandish. I know the Rangers have unbelievable hitting and two great starting pitchers. I know the Angels have three Tier 2 starters and an amazing lineup on their own. But I see in the A's what Gene Hackman saw in Keanu Reeves in "The Replacements." I see heart. Oakland has a solid lineup and an overall good pitching staff. But I see a rising star in future Cy Young winner Jerrod Parker. He will lead the A's to the AL West title. To Texas' detriment, the team has three pitchers with homeruns on their own charts. As for the Angels, a weak bullpen and bottom of the order may doom the team. I see the A's exploiting these glaring holes in the division's two favorites. Oh, and as for the Astros and Mariners, I hope they fetch a couple bottles of wine while they're in the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment